How To Study For The
NAYSI On-Line Course
Study material that applies to all sport and recreation situations are found in BEYOND X’s and O’s.
Objectives: What you could gain from the NAYSI On-Line Course with diligent study
1. To put the kids first.
2. To plan learning experiences knowing that total participation is the most important factor in improving player performance.
3. To improve the quality of life of youngsters through lifetime participation in sport and recreation activities.
4. To recognize that there are a number of ways to teach and coach children.
5. To recognize that beginners make a variety of errors in skill and playing performance.
6. To gain insight into the differences between beginners and advanced players.
7. To be a positive influence on youngsters by using positive reinforcement in your teaching and coaching.
8. To evaluate what you are doing in your sport activities.
9. To learn common safety points in the prevention of injuries.
10. To understand the conflict that exists between total participation and the “win first” models of program administration.
11. To develop a personal philosophy about kids and sports that you could defend before your peers.
12. To provide you, the students, with an understanding of all phases of youth sport from philosophy to coaching to management regardless of your presentrole.
13. To provide resource information so you can plan and conduct your own youth program.
14. To stimulate you, the student, to read and study and become a “youth sport buff.”
How To Study . . . in case you were absent that day in school
Your level of learning and ability to incorporate this material into your approach to working with youngsters improves when you:
- turn off the radio, television and CDs
- find a quiet place free of distractions to read and study
- dedicate an hour or two each day to this course so you can complete the work in 2-3 week
- discuss your studies with and present it to others
Recommended Study Procedure
- Read and study BEYOND X’s and O’s from cover to cover. Do this first.
- Go back and answer the 75 test questions.
- Read and study BEYOND X’s and O’s again.
- Review your answers for best retention.
A Passing Score Is . . .
Passing score is 80% correct.
You will receive on-line notification when you have successfully passed this course.
What If I Do Not Pass?
Relax! You do not fail this course. If you do not pass the examination the first time, you may retake the test as many times as necessary.
When You Are Done**
NAYSI Education Credits* (N.E.C.’s) can be awarded for those who participate in the NAYSI program (1 N.E.C = 10 contact hours). For professionals, prior approval should be obtained in writing from supervisors when these N.E.C’s are expected to qualify for professional service or salary increment requirements. Independent study assignments can be developed for the course to increase the number of credits earned.
For more information, or to enroll, contact:
Jack Hutslar, Ph.D.
North American Youth Sport Institute
Huddleston, Virginia 24014
800 767-4916 or 336 407-2157 [m]
A FRESH approach to working with
children & teenagers.